07983 470950

01476 569065






Logan House

Lime Grove


NG31 9JD



Local Plans

Other services




Site Map



Planning application fees

Application fees are set by the Government, and are reviewed from time to time.

The current Schedule of Application Fees can be downloaded here



Planning applications

MSP are able to undertake the submission of a planning application on your behalf. Applications  take a variety of forms, and in some instances several different types of application may be required (for example if the application property is a listed building). We are able to advise on the most appropriate form and type application to make and the best strategy to take your project through the development management process.

Through long standing relationships with a wide range of associates we are able to provide planning, architectural and technical input to fully support any planning application. We can co-ordinate all these  specialists, arrange fee quotes and ensure their input delivers a project to your specific requirements.

Through our associates we are able to prepare reports required to accompany planning applications. Alternatively, we are able to procure these services on your behalf through a tendering process. These services include

Architectural design; we work closely with a range of architects and designers and are able to advise you on the most suitable architects / designers for your particular project

Design & Access Statements: Many applications require a Design & Access Statement which explains the design rationale for the development.

Transport assessments; these are generally required to be prepared to a specification agreed by the local highway authority. We are able to agree that specification and commission the highways assessment when required.

Ecological surveys; for example, species surveys and mitigation strategies. Species surveys will normally be required on larger sites, sites near water sources and projects involving the conversion of buildings

Noise assessments; these may be required if there are nearby noise sources (eg. railway lines and the dvelopment is sensitive to noise)

Archaeological evaluations; required if the site has the potential for acrhaeological remains

Agricultural  / equestrian justifications for new dwellingsin countryside locations

Agricultural land quality assessements; to determine the agricuultural land quality of a site

Retail impact assessments and sequential tests to support applications for retail development

Environmental assessments to support major applications covered by the EIA regulations

Ground investigation reports including contamination assessments; typically required for previously developed sites where the new use may be sensitive to past contamination

Flood risk assessments and sequential tests to accompany applications submitted in flood risk areas

Structural surveys to support proposals to convert buildings

Tree condition surveys and arboricultural impact assessments

Travel Plans; these are typically required for uses that involve a large number of employees or uses such as schools and nurseries

Section 106 agreements and unilateral undertakings; legal agreements that may be required in connection wit a grant of permission

Heritage Impact Assessments; required for proposals in conservation areas and affecting listed buildings and ancient monuments

Building for Life Assessments; design assessments that score the quaility of new developmemt against a defined design assessment methodology

For further information, contact us by clicking here. A more detailed explanation of the above is contained in the Glossary.

Other types of application

As well as needing planning permission, your proposals may require other separate consents as well. In some instances, these additional applications can be combined into a single submission.

If your proposals relate to a listed building or a separate building within its curtilage, you may also need to apply for listed building consent.

If your proposals fall within a conservation area, and involve some form of demolition, you may require conservation area consent.

Proposals that involve the installation of advertisements, in particular illuminated adverts may require advertisement consent.

If you have carried out development in the past, without planning permission, in certain circumstances, after a specified period of time, you may apply for that development to be made lawful, by means of a Certificate of Lawfulness application. Further information on this procedure is set out on our Enforcement page.

Certain types of development may not need an application for planning permission (for example, certain extensions to a domestic property). This is known as 'permitted development'. In certain cases, before you can expercise these permitted development rights, you may need to seek the prior approval of the Council - a process similar to a planning application submission.

If you have been granted planning permission, and wish to change or remove some of the conditions which have been attached to the permission, you may apply to vary the conditions. This is sometimes referred to as a Section 73 application.

MSP are able to handle submissions of any of these applications to meet your particular project requirements. Contact Us

Objecting to a planning application?

You may wish to object to a planning application that you feel affects you.

MSP are able to advise on making objections to applications, and can prepare and submit objections on your behalf.

We are also able, where Councils permit public speaking at Planning Committee meetings, to present your objections orally.Contact us.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a levy allowing local authorities to raise funds from owners or developers of land undertaking new building projects in their area. Typically contributions will be sought for community facilities such as education , libraies, and open space etc.

The levy rate varies from area to area and sometimes across a Council area as well.

Not all Councils have introduced the levy, which is not negotiable. However, some Councils routinely require contributions, albeit not via a CIL. We can advise you if your project is likely to require a CIL or other development contribution.

Do I need planning permission?

A frequently asked question is "Do I need planning permission? Certain works, sometimes quite substanial works,  and some changes of use, are classed as 'permitted development' and do not require a planning application. Some works are classed as 'permitted development', but require a Council's 'prior approval' before the works can be undertaken. It is possible to seek from a local authority a Certificate of Lawfulness that formally establishes whether planning permission is required. We can advise you whether your project requires planning permission, and if appropriate, submit a Certifciate of Lawfulness on your behalf.   Contact Us

Licensing applications

MSP are also able to submit applications for Premises Licenses and Caravan Site Licenses on your behalf. Contact Us



Contact us

To contact us about any planning application enquiry Click here

©MSP 2018